08.07. - 19.07.2019
Lao Cai is a province of the mountainous Northwest region of Vietnam bordering the province
of Yunnan in China. The province covers an area of 6383.9 square kilometers and as of 2016 it had a
population of 674,530 people
In the province, one can observe the large rich and poor gap. While there are big houses in some
towns, expensive cars on the streets, most of the population, with ethnic Vietnamese being the
majority, are still experiencing a difficult life. In fact, Lao Cai is currently one of the poorest provinces
in the country, with more than 70% of the population living under the poverty line. Traditional
economic activities such as agriculture and forestry remain important, but the province has also been
attempting to develop foreign investment in the area. In order to attract and push foreign investment,
it is important to have a capable workforce to work with them. Therefore, the province has also paid
more attention to education and is trying to encourage children to go to school.
The main activities include:
- Cleaning the playground
- Planting flowers and small trees on
- Decorating the playground with
flower pots and recyled materials
(old tyres, plastic bottles...)
- Painting wall murals (around
- Creating English learning corners
(painting wall murals with numbers
or vocabulary in English; or creating an English bookshelf...)
- Exchanging cultures with local students and people (with traditional games and performances)
- Other activities based on volunteers’ ideas and the school’s needs.
Volunteers will stay at the school dormitory with basic living conditions. Volunteers should prepare for
basic bathroom and toilet facilities. There will be bunk beds and mosquito nets. Volunteers should
bring a sleeping bag.
Electricity, internet, clean water is available but limited. There is no water heater, no air-conditioner,
and no washing machine.
Volunteers can eat at the school canteen or eat out at some restaurants nearby (1 or 2 km from the
school). Food will mostly be locally sourced and cooked. Those who have special diet should inform
1. Suitable and comfortable clothes for outdoor activities (like painting or cleaning)
2. Mosquito repellent (there are mosquitoes because of the forests)
3. Sunscream (the sun radiation is quite strong here)
4. Flashlight (to walk to the bathroom or toilet at night, or to walk around in the local area at
5. Working shoes (like boots, for outdoor activities), trainers (for trekking), house shoes/ slippers
(for the dormitory)
6. Any medicine you take regularly (we will provide general medicine)
7. Toiletries (towels, tooth brush, tooth paste, shampoo, shower gel...)
8. Sleeping bag (a thin one)
9. A light jacket (to wear at night as it is still slightly cold in the evening)
10. Umbrella/Raincoat (as it may rain any time)Apart from the above personal items, volunteers may consider bringing the following stuff tocontribute to a successful camp:
1. Flower seeds, herb seeds (to plant at this school)
2. Ideas for decorating the playground
3. Ideas for mural paintings
4. English books, flash cards or puzzles
5. Learning tools (pencils, colour pencils, notebooks...)
6. Ideas for group games
7. Ideas for cultural exchanges
At the far right corner of the parking area at the airport, volunteers can take the following bus to
bus no. 07 (yellow and red bus) which costs 8.000 VND/ride to the last bus stop which is Cau
Giay bus stop.
bus no. 90 which costs 9,000VND/ride to the last bus stop which is Kim Ma station.
bus no. 86 which costs 30,000VND/ride to the last bus stop which is Hanoi city center.
When you arrive in Hanoi center, you can take a bus or a taxi to Hanoi Train Station or My
Dinh bus station to take a train or a bus to Lao Cai.
You can buy the train ticket at Hanoi station and take the train from there to Lao Cai (usually the
night train) and will arrive in Lao Cai train station at about 5.30 or 6.00am in the morning. The train
ticket costs between 500,000VND-650,000VND/ride, depending on the types of the seats/beds that
you choose. The more comfortable the seat/bed is (hard or soft seat/bed, with or without air-
conditioning), the more expensive it is.
You can buy the bus ticket at My Dinh station (recommended bus: Ha Son – Hai Van) and take the
bus from there to Lao Cai. Ha Son – Hai Van buses run every 1 hour. It takes about 5 hours to get to
Lao Cai city from Hanoi. The bus ticket costs 250,000VND.
Once you are in Lao Cai city, you can take a taxi or motor-taxi to GEL office at: 046- Tran
Hung Dao Street- Bac Lenh ward- Lao Cai City.
VPV coordinator will be waiting there to welcome you.
Táto aktivita nemôže byť pridaná do tvojej tašky. Môže byť plná, uzavretá, alebo nie je určená pre teba. Tiež sa musíš prihlásiť.