1. The organization offers free programs for children and students studying in primary, secondary and high schools. These programs are offered especially to those living in families with difficult circumstances and in vulnerable living conditions.
2. It aims to help orphaned and abandoned children; people with disabilities, elderly people and people with illnesses.
3. It helps to educate and motivate individuals to be engaged with society, and learn about their health and wellbeing.
4. Finally, the program provides a chance for the Vietnamese students to have a chance of practicing their English skills with foreign volunteers and through this, they become more confident in using their English.
Content to remain and develop
- Teaching content that aims to improve student’s English skills such as; listening, speaking, reading and writing.
- Being involved in activities at this centre will allow students to learn and develop skills such as adaptability, teamwork, working with diversity and building on their social skills to ultimately help them to become active global citizens in society.
- Organizing activities to help people who live in the COSWAPOLC centre to be motivated and engaged in society.
1-Brief overview of Lao Cai city.
Lào Cai is a province of the mountainous Northwest region of Vietnam, bordering the province of Yunnan in China. Lao Cai and Sa Pa are the two most important cities within the Yunnan Province.
These bordering countries are formally known for their trading post and tourism. Lao Cai is the capital of Lao Cai Province and its bordering countries are Hekou, located in Yunnam - Southwest of China.
Lao Cai is a new city and it takes approximately five hours to drive to Ha Noi on the high way – Noi Bai. It is well developed with fast transportation.
2. Brief information of Lao Cai Continuing Educational Center.
- Lao Cai Continuing Educational Center (LCCEC) is located at: 27 Van Hoa Street, Kim Tan Ward, Lao Cai City, Lao Cai province. The centre programs are designed to teach young children, secondary students, young graduates and those with special needs - English in order to help them to enter the workforce market in Lao Cai. There are 8 English classes are held on working days and hours (Mon-Fri) as well as other classes held in the evening and also on the weekend.
3. Brief information of the center with social work aid and social protection of Lao Cai province.- The center with social work aid and social protection of Lao Cai province is located at: group 3, Binh Minh ward, Lao Cai city, Lao Cai province. Now, the center is managing and caring for 106 people, including 83 orphans and abandoned children, 07 elderly people, 18 children with mental illness and 2 disabled children. Those children and people are vulnerable, pessimistic, depressed when there are fluctuations due to early collisions and loss in life, so they often have feelings of worthlessness or low self-worth. There are also some children who have the energy and will to overcome difficulties. The important thing is to understand, sympathize, and understand the psychology properly to timely adjust the psychological trauma, motivate and encourage them to become useful people and avoid deviant behaviors that are not accepted by the community and society.
4. Project implementation units
All units will collaborate together with the coordinators of SJ Vietnam:
- Lao Cai Continuing Educational Center located at 27 Van Hoa Street, Kim Tan Ward, Lao Cai City.
Actively participate in the project based on the tasks below:
- Teach English for young children, secondary and high school students.
- Improve students' speaking and listening skills and their pronunciation.
- Create a friendly environment to encourage students' motivation to learn English.
- Organize activities to promote the importance of maintaining clean water, hygiene and sanitation, especially for those with disadvantaged families in Lao Cai.
-Create workshops for English as a Second Language (ESL) - learning and teaching.
-Organize activities that help student widen their cultural and societal knowledge for them to have cultural awareness’s and acceptance to diversity
- Participate in excursions to historical and cultural sites in Lao Cai. Through this opportunity they are able to expose themselves to the locals.
- Working time: 10 to 15 hours a week.
- English classes: Monday to Saturday (2-4 lessons per day).
- Volunteers are given time off on Sunday
(one days per week).
- Charity activities are in the COSWAPOLC on days when there are no English classes for the volunteers.
- working time in the center with social work aid and social protection of Lao Cai province : 10 hours a week.
-Age: 20 years and above.
· Effective verbal communication skills
· Efficient in English.
· Ability to engage and inspire young children and students.
· Ability to facilitate collaborative work groups for young children and students to promote exchange in opinions, decisions and ideas.
· Aware of intercultural differences and able to problem solve conflict.
· Ability to share responsibilities with other volunteers and to encourage them.
· Have a strong understanding, willingness and have experience in voluntarism.
- The Dormitory are on campus equipped with amenities:
· Separate beds, Bathroom, Water, Water heater , Air conditioner Television, Fridge, WI-FI
· Cooking equipment ,
- Food: Self cooking is required.